The history of lesbians in Spain's different regions
La Zarza is a municipality of around 3,400 people first referenced as a settlement around 1235. It was granted the title of Villa in 1585 after paying Rey Felipe II 16,752 ducals. A few years later, in 1594, its population was counted at 358. Its population peaked in 1960 with around 5,150 residents before going on a gradual decline.
Calle Carolina Coronado is a street in the town named after Carolina Coronado, one a handful of Spanish Sapphic writers from the 19th Century. She was part of the hermandad lírica, and was widely read at the time but later written out of history because she challenged patriarchal norms of the era.
Leave a Reply