Medina de las Torres is a municipality of around 1,200. Human settlement in the area dates back to the Iron Age. In the Celtic Beturia period, the town was called Ugultiniacum and in the Roman period, it was called Contributa. The town’s current name dates to the Moorish period, when it was founded in the mid-thirteenth century by a Portuguese knight called Martín Anes do Vinhal. After the fall of the Old Regime, the town became a constitutional municipality. By 1842, it had a population of around 2,360 residents.
The Ayuntamiento de Medina de las Torres published a statement in March 2021 saying they were committed to the human rights of everyone, that basic values of respect, tolerance and equality needed to take root and that society should not discriminate against lesbians, gays, bisexuals or transpeople.
Medina de las Torres played host to a traveling exhibition in the early 2020s titled, “Stories of Resistance” organized by Fundación Triángulo Extremadura in collaboration with the Agencia Extremeña de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AEXCID). The exhibit told the stories of LGBTI people in Extremadura and the surrounding provinces fleeing persecution of homosexuality. One of the stories featured was that of a lesbian who fled El Salvador after her sexual orientation led to persecution in her local barrio near the capital.