Calle de Lagasca is at the heart of Madrid. This street was where Carolina Coronado maintained a residence. It was an important location for progressive, revolutionary and persecuted literary figures in the 1840s.
Escuela del hogar y Profesional de la Mujer was a school designed to prepare young women for a life of fulfillment in the home as wives and mothers. The original location of the school when they were founded in 1911 was at Cuesta de Santo Domingo. A year later in March 1912, they moved to Paseo de la Castellana, 60 and a bit later, they moved down the street to Paseo de la Castellana, 72. In 1932, they moved to Calle Pinar, 7. Rosa Chacel was a member of the first class of the school, developing her feminist beliefs at the school. Matilde Calvo was a teacher there.
Asociación de la Prensa de Madrid, located at Calle de Juan Bravo, 6, was founded on 31 May 1895. In 1907, it admitted its first two women members, Carmen de Burgos and Consuelo Álvarez Pool.
Blanco y Negro was a Catholic run weekly magazine founded in 1891. The headquarters were located at Edificio ABC Serrano at Calle de Serrano, 61 and Paseo de la Castellana, 34. It was at this magazine that María de la Encarnación Gertrudis Jacoba Aragoneses y de Urquijo first began publishing children’s stories under the name Elena Fortún in 1928.
Because of intense bombing during the siege of Madrid, Mujeres Libres moved their offices from Gran Vía to a private home on Calle de Diego de León. Mujeres Libres was anarchist women’s union co-founded by Lucía Sánchez Saornil, Mercedes Comaposada and Amparo Poch Gascón. At its peak, the organization had 20,000 affiliates. It played an important role in educating women, teaching them a broad range of topics from basic literacy to sex education.