Tetuán, officially district number 6, is located north of Centro. Its population of around 154,000 is divided into six barrios, Bellas Vistas (61), Cuatro Caminos (62), Castillejos (63), Almenara (64), Valdeacederas (65) and Berruguete (66).
The district was created where the camp of Leopoldo O’Donnell’s returning troops stayed following their success after the 1859–60 African War. The location soon developed permanent structures, and became known as “Tetuán de las Victorias” after the North African city where many of the soldiers had come from. Following the annexation of Chamartín de la Rosa into the City of Madrid in 1948, part of the the original Chamartín was integrated into the district. Tetúan is home to the oldest and one of the most important mosques in the city.